Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Pork Chops in Dijon Mustard Cream Sauce


A way back when my oldest was still a bun in the oven, and I subscribed to all the baby things i could get, I received a monthly mailing from Carnation called "Very Best Baby" magazine. Every month they would send recipe cards with delicious, healthy recipes using Carnation products. One of my favorite recipes was the pork tenderloin in mustard cream sauce. I have long since lost the recipe, so I set out today hoping to recreate it using some of my favorite Aldi ingredients, I did have to sneak an non-Aldi ingredient, but it can be omitted OR purchased at another store rather cheaply.


Pork Chops in Dijon Mustard Cream Sauce

1 1/4 - 1/2 lbs of Roseland Bonless Pork Chops (2.89/lb - this package was $4.28) - used it all
3/4 Cup Friendly Farms Evaporated Milk (.39/can) - used .22
1/4 Cup Fit & Active Chicken Broth (.59/can) - used .08
1 Tbs. Dijion Mustard (our brand is currently called "Tate", but it used to be "Briargate", 1.19/btl) - used about .05
1 clove garlic, crushed (.69 for 3 full bulbs!) - used about .05
2 or 3 scallions (green onions), sliced thinly on the bias (.99 for 15) used .12

Place pork chops between plastic wrap sheets and pound to about to about 1/4" thickness. Salt & pepper lightly.

Heat skillet over medium-high heat and and spray pan with Carlini Canola Oil Spray ($1.39/can!).

Add two pieces of the pork to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes per side. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm, repeat with remaining pork. Remove 2nd set of pork. Add evaporated milk and chicken broth to the pan and scrape pan with spatula while warming it up to loosen the pork drippings into the milk, this process is called deglazing (fancy term for scraping up the extra bits, huh???) Add dijon mustard, stir in well. Add crushed garlic and allow to thicken slightly. Return pork to pan, turning to coat in the sauce. Sprinkle scallions over top and serve immediately. Makes 6 servings. This is $.80/serving!

I like to serve with Fit & Active Quick Brown Rice ($1.49 for a 10 serving box) and steamed green beans (.99 in Frozen section). Add these, and it's still about $1.10 serving!

I hope you enjoy this one! A comment or two wouldn't hurt so I know you're all out there! ;)

4 comments:

  1. YAY! :) Thanks....it was so silent out there I was hearing crickets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I don't have Aldi here, but I wish I did, I loved their prices. I did however manage to find most of the ingredients fairly cheap. Mine worked out to 1.65 a serving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Birbitt! So glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete