Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Yeah, where've I been?

Not going to make a lot of excuses. Let's just say Spring got away from me this year! FINALLY coming to the surface and having a little bit more time for the things that give me great joy (well, aside from my family). Cooking.

Many of you know that we are homeschoolers. My children and I have been on this journey for seven years, and my oldest is about to be in 7th Grade. I can hardly believe that I've made it through all the elementary years with one of my children. Life is busy in this house and sometimes dinner is an afterthought. So, I started to investigate Once A Month Cooking. There are so many great sites on this subject, it's unreal! I have found some amazing recipes, read a lot the last few days on it and have decided it's just not going to work for ME! Surprise there. I do this with our homeschooling curriculum, I just cannot follow someone else's schedule! (I know, you're thinking I'm a control freak - well, I am) If I don't have 30 minutes to cook dinner each night, how in the world am I going to set aside an entire weekend to shop and prepare a month's worth of meals? That was what kept coming up.

What I DID like, is that many of the recipes are to make 2 dinners worth. So, instead of Once a Month Cooking - I'm (of course) adapting it to fit our lives. I'm going to start doing a "Cook Once, Eat Twice" type method. So, be on the look out for some upcoming recipes that will be easy to make double, and freeze half for a meal later in the month. If you do this just three times a week, you'll have a month's worth of meals in NO time flat! Or at least have some easy grab-and-go-to meals for those crazy busy nights. (Well, something other than take-out and hot dogs!!!).

I will continue to post regular recipes using Aldi's awesome ingredients, as well as reviews of some of our favorite Aldi products as well. I hope to see you around!

3 comments:

  1. I've always liked the idea of double duty dinners. As a matter of fact, Rachel Ray used to do a whole show on them. She had some great ideas of really different ways to make one cooking event turn into 2 meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've kind of strayed from it lately, but I used to always plan my meals to feed us twice. It's great to cook three dinners, but eat all week. :)

    I've also done some Once-A-Week cooking. It's much easier for me to manage than cooking once a month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete