Friday, October 7, 2011

Zucchini Lasagna

So, I do not have a picture of this one folks because, well, quite frankly it was so good that my husband and I ate most of it! :)

Recently we started the South Beach Diet and have cut out most pastas and quick carbs. I confess, this has made my journey into cooking quite difficult. I've always relied on a starch in the meal: pasta, bread, potatoes, rices, corn, etc. All of these foods are now taboo. I mean, even when I did 2 years in the gluten-free world, I was still allowed all non-gluten versions of these foods. I even grew to like them and adjusted to their taste and texture.

But living WITHOUT them? COMPLETELY? Well, lets just say that's been an adjustment, and I'm just now getting the hang of it.

Anyway, I had been thinking of how to make a lasagna without using noodles. I'm a huge fan of zucchini, my husband is not however. So I've had to tread very lightly including it in our diet. I've slowly introduced him to the amazing way to saute it with red peppers, olive oil, garlic and italian seasoning. In recent years he's consented to (and even ASKED for it) grill it in the summer when grilling is hot hot hot! But...he's rejected all things ragout like and saucy like ratattouille. So, I was concerned when I decided to try this.

Let me just say it was so yummy that I didn't even miss the pasta!!!!


Zucchini Lasagna

1 lb ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey, pork - choose your favorite)
1 Can Italian Style Diced tomatoes (they're in right now!)
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic
2 cups cottage cheese
1 egg
1 LARGE Zucchini
2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Brown ground meat until no longer pink, drain grease if using a higher fat meat. Add dice tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic cloves. Cook and allow flavors to marry well, and garlic flavor to mellow.

While this is cooking mix cottage cheese, egg and italian seasoning together in a bowl.

Using a vegetable peeler, cut very thin slices down the length of the zucchini. Creating at least 15 or so ribbons. Lay out on paper towels over a cookie cooling rack to drain excess moisture from the zucchini.

In a bread pan or meatloaf pan, layer a small amount of the meat/sauce mixture. Layer over zucchini. Spread over a layer of half of the cottage cheese mixture, Sprinkle with 3/4 cup of the mozzarella. Repeat layering ending with a meat layer. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Add last 1/2 cup of Mozzarella during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking.

Allow to rest about 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

Enjoy with a good salad and garlic bread (okay, if you're not on South Beach have the garlic bread.)

No comments:

Post a Comment