Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Aldi-way Cocoa Cookies


Growing up in Pennsylvania, you become attached to foods. Philly Cheesesteak, fresh pretzels (sold on street corners by homeless people no less), Funny Cake and Shoo-fly Pie, Tasty Kakes and Archway cookies. I spent 4 years in Phoenix and could not find an Archway cookie to save my life. My favorite are the Dutch Cocoa cookies. A 3 1/2" across chocolate sugar cookie. The outside is crunched with sugar crystals, and the inside is soft and chewy like a brownie. Chocolatey and sweet goodness causes you to go to another world.

The unfortunate thing about Archway cookies? Well, they are $3.59 for EIGHT COOKIES!!! If I'm going to pay that much it's going to be for Girl Scout Cookies!

I think I was about 13 years old when I came across this recipe. It's officially called "Cake Mix Cookies". I've made them with lemon cake, vanilla cake, carrot cake, pumpkin cake....but my favorite, by far, is with Devil's Food Cake. I'm concerned that I might get sued by Archway because Cake Mix Cookies made with Devil's Food Cake Mix are so similar, I have to be breaking a law SOMEHOW! And, the price tag....lets just say you get a lot more for a lot less!!!

ENJOY!


Aldi-way Cocoa Cookies

1 Box Baker's Corner Devil's Food Cake Mix (.89)
2 Eggs (.11/ea)
1/3 Cup Oil (.20 - sells for 2.29/quart)
1/2 Cup sugar in a shallow, wide bowl
Flat Bottomed Glass

Preheat oven to 375.

Mix Cake mix, eggs and oil together well (I use the paddle attachment on my KitchenAid). This will be a thick dough.

Use a small cookie scoop (1 Tbs) and portion out. Roll into balls and place 2" apart on a cookie sheet. Dip the glass in sugar and press each ball into 1/4" thickness...redose with sugar for each one.

Bake 6-8 minutes. Allow to cool on cookie sheet for one minute and then move to a cooling rack.

This recipe makes 2 dozen cookies plus a few! You can also allow dough to rest and spread out and use cookie cutters with this and sprinkle the sugar on top instead.

And it you're REALLY in the mood for a treat - put a big scoop of ice cream between two cookies! I DARE YOU!

2 comments: