Thursday, January 7, 2010

Chicken Pot-pie Stoup


Well, it's been really cold here lately. So much for that global warming, thing, huh? I always have a hankering for soup or stew when it's cold. Something warm and comforting to take the edge off the bitterness of the cold. I have stolen a word from Rachel Ray (as much as I hate to do that), but a "stoup" is not quite thin like a soup, and not quite thick enough to be a stew. So "stoup" is not a mistype. I also have a terrible cold, or possibly a sinus infection. Spending a lot of time cooking in the kitchen is really just not appealing to me today. I still need to feed my wonderful family, no matter how sick I am.

We had chicken for dinner a few nights ago, and had leftovers. I bought this chicken at another store for $1.88/lb - boneless skinless. I have tried the IQF (individually quick frozen) Boneless/Skinless Chicken at Aldi, and it is VERY Good, so feel free to use that here. I happen to be lucky enough to live near a deli that sells B/S Chicken Breast for $1.69-$1.99/lb as long as you buy it in over 10 lb bags and break it down yourself. For comparison the IQF Chicken at Aldi is about $2.49/lb. All that was just to say that you can use any leftover chicken and it will be yummy and delicious.



Soup:
2 Cans Fit & Active Cream of Chicken Soup (.69/ea)
1 Can Fit & Active Chicken Broth (.59/can)
1 Can Cut Green Beans (.39/can)
1 Can Sweet Whole Kernel Corn (.39/can)
1 Can Sliced Carrots (.39/can)
1 Cup Frozen Peas, thawed (.99/16 oz bag)
2 to 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed

Pot-pie Dumplings:
2 Cups Baker's Corner All Purpose Baking Mix ($1.69/box)
2/3 Cup Milk (our 2% is currently $3.15/gallon)


Mix all soup ingredients except chicken in large soup pot and bring to just about a boil. Add chicken and stir in. Reduce heat to a simmer and prepare dumplings.

Mix baking mix and milk together until a soft dough forms. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto soup (be careful to not allow them to drop INTO soup). Cook uncovered over low heat for 10 minutes. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes.

This soup made about 8 servings. By my calculations that made each serving approximately $.50 per serving. :) ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment