Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Turkey Tacos



If you ask my oldest child any time of day or night what she would like to eat, she'll respond with a resounding "tacos". It is her favorite food. I've mentioned many times that we lived in Phoenix for 4 years. I credit Phoenix with my oldest's love of Mexican Food. She likes it all, but tacos are, by far, her favorite. If she could have tacos every day of the week, she would. For both lunch and dinner.

A few years ago, I was disappointed by the ingredients in our favorite taco packet. Not to mention how much sodium was in it, and the MSG. MSG gives me headaches, and I know that it does to many others as well. I searched for a spice mix that I could use and found one at Recipe Zaar. I have adapted it to suit our tastes. I use this for Tacos and Fajitas, as well as any time I want to add a little Mexican twist to any thing. I prepare this large batch and save in an emptied spice container so that I have it on hand anytime I need it.

Last year, at our co-op, I was the cooking teacher and we made fajitas for the "dinner" class. Many students (and their parents) still tell me that they use this recipe exclusively when making Mexican Dishes. That, to me, is the highest compliment.

I'll share the mix recipe first, then how to use it in tacos.


Taco/Fajita Seasoning Mix

5 Tbs. Spice Club Chili Powder
5 Tsp. Spice Club Ground Cumin
2 Tsp. Spice Club Ground Black Pepper*
4 Tsp. Sebree Table Salt
1 Tsp. Spice Club Paprika*
2 Tsp. Spice Club Dried Oregano
2 Tsp. Spice Club Garlic Powder
2 Tsp. Spice Club Onion Powder
1/2 Tsp. Spice Club Red Pepper Flakes*

*add more of these ingredients if you like it even spicier.

Mix all ingredients together well and store in an air-tight container. This entire container costs about $1.25.


Turkey Tacos

1 20 oz package of Fit & Active Ground Turkey ($2.49)
3 Tbs Taco/Fajita Seasoning Mix (above) (.25)
1 8 oz can Happy Harvest Tomato Sauce (.29)
1/2 Cup Water
1 Package La Mas Rica Flour Tortillas (1.49) - you may use the corn or the crunchy corn...whatever YOUR pref
Half of 8oz brick Happy Farms Colby Jack cheese, shredded (.89)
2 Cups finely shredded lettuce (.33 - I use about a half a head of romaine hearts which is $1.99/3 heads)
1 Cup Happy Farms Sour Cream (.49)
La Mas Rica Salsa (choose type and heat - prices will vary - for means of calc, .50 avg of used salsa)
La Mas Rica Guacamole (.82) (this is 3.29 for two internal packages...we use about half of on package in a meal)


Brown ground turkey. Sprinkle spices over and cook for one minute until you can smell the aroma of the spices. Add tomato sauce and water. Bring to boil, then reduce to a slow simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes stiring occasionally.

Warm up tortillas as instructed on packaging.

This makes about 12 tacos @ about .63 per taco.

Serve topped with your favorite ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment