Sunday, October 24, 2010

Harvest Hayride Breakfast


a.k.a. Pumpkin Waffles with Apple Cider Syrup.

I have this really great friend who gave me a used waffle maker. I just got it about two months ago, and I've been experimenting with waffles, mixes, etc.

Imagine my surprise when I walked into Aldi the other day and saw Millville Pumpkin Pancake & Waffle Mix. And in the refrigerated section near the orange juice was Nature's Nectar Apple Cider. Of course, light bulbs start going off in my head, and my mouth starts watering, and I do believe I drooled - just a little bit (no one saw, at least I don't think they did). Oh well, even if they did...wasn't going to stop me from having my "Fall on a Plate".

So, this recipe is ONE PART review of a seasonal Aldi Product, and a recipe using another seasonal product. Stock up while you can! You won't regret it.

Pumpkin Waffles - follow package directions. $2.79 for a box which makes about 9-10 6" waffles.

The waffles were VERY easy to make, smelled delicious baking in the waffle maker, and turned out crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Very nice taste and texture.


Apple Cider Syrup

2 Cups Apple Cider ($2.39 for 56 oz)
3 Cups Brown Sugar
2 Tbs Butter
1 tsp cinnamon (or if you have on hand, float a cinnamon stick while cooking)
1/2 tsp vanilla

Bring all contents to a boil on the stove. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Allow to cool slightly before serving. This makes about 24 oz of syrup. So it makes A LOT. :) And it's only about 5¢ a serving!

1 comment: