Friday, December 24, 2010

Day 10 of 12 - Pumpkin Pie Dessert Squares

Another gem from Joyce. We would have this dessert every year at Thanksgiving. My husband and I would drive the 12 hours to spend Thanksgiving at their house every year. Up until we moved to AZ. And now that we're back, we go every year again to visit Joyce. Dad is not there anymore, and we miss him very much. But the joy that he brought, and the memories of him live on in our relationship with Joyce.

This recipe takes me back to the first Thanksgiving we spent there. What an amazing spread we had. I was so stuffed, I could barely move. I had never been a fan of pumpkin, and dessert came out and I was scared. The obligatory small piece, I could suffer through it and not offend. Well, the joke was on me. This was pumpkin like I had never had before! OH MY GOODNESS. So creamy and rich, crunchy and gooey, and oh. My. You just have to make it and try it for yourself.

My oldest daughter LOVES this dessert, and so, for her, I make it every year. I lie. I make it for me. :) And for the memories it brings back. Of a man and his wife, who would open their home every year for our visit. Kill the fatted calf, and share the bounty with us. Joyce, we love you!!! Dad, we miss you.

Pumpkin Pie Dessert Squares

1 Pkg Baker's Corner Yellow Cake Mix
3 Golden Hen Eggs (divided)
3/4 Cup Country Creamery Butter (divided)
3 Cup Happy Harvest Pumpkin (about 2 cans)
2 Tsp Cinnamon (divided)
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
1/4 Tsp Clove (if you like that flavor)
2/3 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Baker's Corner Sugar


Preheat oven to 350.

Grease bottom only of a 13" X 9" pan.

Reserve 1 Cup Cake mix for the topping, set aside in a bowl and mix with 1/4 Cup Sugar, 1 Tsp. Cinnamon and 1/4 Cup Butter.

Combine remaining cake mix, 1/2 Cup butter, and one egg in a medium bowl. Mix well. Press into the bottom of the pan.

Mix pumpkin, spices, 2 eggs and milk in a separate bowl. Stir well to remove all lumps. Pour over crust.

Crumble reserved topping over the pumpkin layer.

Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted at the center comes out clean. Serve with whipped cream, or ice cream. Some kinda cream. C'mon, you need that! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment