Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Sand Hills Lighthouse Inn's Hot Fudge Topping

In keeping with the theme, and after pulling out the recipes that Mary sent home with me from Sand Hills Lighthouse Inn in Ahmeek, MI....I had another craving.

One of our nights there, Mary served this dessert:


Do you see that, amazing fudge brownie, topped with delicious vanilla ice cream, homemade hot fudge and a raspberry sauce.  Well, the brownie recipe will have to wait, well, until Aldi has baker's chocolate (okay, I might buy a bar somewhere else and make them anyway!).  But this sauce, fudgy, creamy, oozy.....oh, it was heaven.  I did have to ask my children to look away as I licked the plate!

Oh, for those have checked out the connected link, and seen just how amazing Sand Hills is, you also need to know that Mary serves dessert in the parlor in the evenings.  And then entertains with piano.  Quite a warm cozy night.

Well, as is Mary's custom, she shared the recipe with me, and now, I share it with you.  It took a little adjusting as the caramels she usually uses is not sold at Aldi, mine sells Werther's Original Soft Caramels, so I adjusted to use that as my base.

Sand Hills Lighthouse Inn's Hot Fudge Topping

41 Werther's Original Soft Chewy Caramels (you will need two bags but BARELY use the 2nd bag)
8 oz Chocoer Milk Chocolate (I used 1 whole bar, and 4 squares from a 2nd bar)
1/3 cup Friendly Farms Milk
1 tsp. Baker's Corner Pure Vanilla
1 Cup Bentons All Natural Vanilla Ice Cream

In a double boiler, melt the caramels with the milk.  When it is smooth and melted, add the chocolate (I broke mine up into squares) and the vanilla.  Stir until the chocolate is melted.  Then, add the vanilla ice cream.  Stir until it is thoroughly melted/blended.

Use immediately or store in the refrigerator.  This makes approximately 24 oz.  I stored mine in 3 8 oz jelly jars.  I do recommend warming it up before using IF you're not using right away.

This evening I made this for friends coming to dinner.  I served just over vanilla ice cream, and it was received very well! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment