Friday, January 25, 2013

"Save the Dying Bananas" Banana Cake


It was mistake for me to ever, ever join  Pinterest.  It has become a daily time suck.  I bet you can all guess what boards I like to visit most?  Yep, you're right if you guessed the food & drink boards.  I have pinned a lot of recipes.  Today, I decided to try one.  Of course, I adapted it....can never just MAKE a recipe at face value.

One of my New Year's Resolutions (if I actually have any, I try not to make them because it just adds to that feeling of mommy-failure when I don't deliver!) is to try not to allow food waste if at all possible.  I have tried very hard, more recently, to have a use for every piece of food that is going bad, to eat left overs, or turn them into something new and clever.

Sitting on my counter yesterday were two VERY overripe bananas.  Throwing them away would mean admitting defeat.  Eating them would have been impossible (ew).  Baking something with them was my only option.  I'm kinda tired of the traditional banana chocolate chip muffins, banana walnut breads and the like.  It didn't seem to float my boat.  So where did I go?  Pinterest, of course.  I found a banana cake recipe worth trying, that my measly two bananas could make.  Of course, I was missing a host of other ingredients, so I improvised! :)

Here's a link to the original recipe so that I'm not plagiarizing, and giving credit where credit is due, this person deserves credit, as well as a peruse on their blog....Butter Yum's To Die For Banana Cake .  Another thing I should mention is her cake has a recipe for a vanilla bean frosting (which also sounds divine, but in the interested of saving money and not wasting a half a tub of vanilla frosting in my fridge), I used half a can of Baker's Corner Vanilla Frosting instead of making my own.

Well, here goes....

Aldi "Save the Dying Bananas" Banana Cake (using Butter Yum's adapted recipe)

2 overripe bananas
2/3 Cup Grandma's Best Sugar
1/2 Cup Fage Greek Yogurt (or whichever brand your Aldi sells, I hear this might be regional!)
1 Golden Hen Egg
2 Tbs Country Creamery Butter, softened
1 tsp Stonehill Classics Pure Vanilla
1 Cup Grandma's Best Flour
1/4 tsp Sebree Salt
1/2 tsp Baker's Corner Baking Soda
1/2 Tub Baker's Corner Vanilla Frosting

Preheat oven to 375.

Cream together sugar, butter, yogurt and egg.  Add in mashed bananas and vanilla, mix well.  In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt & baking soda.  Add to mashed banana mixture and mix well.  Pour into a greased 8 X 8 pan.  Bake 20-25 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out cleanly).

Allow cake to cool before frosting with frosting.

Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment